How to Vape Thick Cannabis Oil
Vaping can be a very enjoyable and convenient way to enjoy the effects of cannabinoids like CBD, but there is often a small learning curve for most to get the best experience. In this guide we’ll do our best to help beginners and advanced users alike become pros at the art of vaping thick cannabis oils such as ours.
“Nothing is Happening” (Press 5 times to unlock!)
Our Vape Pod and most button activated vaporizer pens can be “locked” and “unlocked” by pressing the heating button 5 times. The heating button will make a clicking noise when pressed, and will light up once unlocked when held for 15 seconds at a time.
If You Can’t See any Vapor When You Exhale, You’re Not Getting Anything
Simply put, if you can’t see vapor as you exhale, something is wrong. Assuming your battery is charged up and unlocked, see below for some tips on overcoming this problem.
The Secret to Vaping Cannabis Oil is Pre-Heating
Any decent vape oil containing a high concentration of cannabinoids such as ours is going to be very thick, and therefore take longer to heat and produce vapor than thinner e-cigarette juices.
For this reason, its always best to start by pre-heating your oil for 5-10 seconds before using a “cold” cartridge. Continue to hold down the heating button as you begin to inhale. Once the cartridge is no longer “cold”, continue to pre-heat before inhaling, using shorter heating times to allow vapor to accumulate in the cartridge.
Another way to accomplish this is to simply not begin to inhale until you can actually see vapor coming out of the cartridge.
Let the Battery Do The Work (Don’t suck!)
Simply put, because vaporizers do not use combustion, increased airflow (sucking) will not lead to increased vapor production. Don’t suck, hold the button, let the vapor build up and inhale once its ready.
Hold It For A Moment
For the same reason that holding a hemp oil tincture underneath the tongue for longer increases its effectiveness, it is generally assumed (though sometimes disputed) that holding vapor for at least a few extra seconds within the lungs before exhaling leads to greater effectiveness.
“How much CBD am I getting when vaping?”
Precision when it comes to dosing cannabinoids like CBD via vaporization is admittedly an inexact science. There are however two strategies we would encourage people to try:
- A simple technique for casual users would be to continue to vape until satisfied with the effects. This strategy works with vaping cannabinoids like CBD because you will be able to feel the effects within seconds (compared to minutes or even hours for sublinguals or edibles, respectively) and gauge whether or not you’re satisfied from there. This is often described by medical professionals as “titrating the dosage”.
- Another more involved method with our Vape Pod system specifically would be to use our finding that 0.5-0.7 mg/CBD were released per second once the cartridge began producing vapor. Therefore, for every 10 second session, you should be consuming roughly 6 milligrams each time.
- If you only purchased the cartridge, we recommend asking your local vaporizer store for a “3.7 volt button-activated vaporizer”. Button activation is important for pre-heating, and generally speaking, cannabis oils should not be vaporized above 4.2 volts.
- Do not to leave your cartridges in a hot car etcetera, or they may leak, especially if full.
- For longer term storage, keep your oil out of sunlight, in a cool place.